Sunday, August 5, 2018

Famous fraud Frederick Albert Cook dies

Photo: American Oil & Gas Historical Society
(Texas Day by Day) On this day in 1940, Frederick Albert Cook, physician, polar explorer, and infamous oil promoter, died in New Rochelle, New York.
The New York native was surgeon on the Arctic Expedition of Robert Peary in 1891-92 and the Belgian Antarctic Expedition in 1897-99. He led expeditions to Mount McKinley between 1903 and 1906. His claim to the first ascent of Mount McKinley was challenged as fraudulent.
He later falsely claimed to have beaten Peary to the North Pole by a year. Continued

6 comments:

  1. I'd like to find out more? I'd care to find out some additional
    information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://aoghs.org/stocks/arctic-explorer-turns-oil-promoter/

      Delete
  2. You ought to take part in a contest for one of the highest quality sites online.
    I'm going to recommend this website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I'd rather spend my free time gathering stories for the blog. Also trying to photograph every old homestead on the western edge of Texas and eastern edge of New Mexico, which is a whole lot of miles. Many people think there is nothing to see out here, but they just aren't looking.

      Delete
  3. I have read so many posts concerning the blogger lovers but this paragraph is truly a
    pleasant paragraph, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that's both educative and
    amusing, and let me tell you, you've hit the
    nail on the head. The issue is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i'm very happy I came across this in my search for something relating to this.

    ReplyDelete