Saturday, February 13, 2021

"Then cherish pity, lest you drive an angel from your door."*


I love taking pictures of dilapidated old houses, but having lived in several, I can tell you that they aren't warm in the winter or cool in the summer. Which leads me to wonder: Why aren't there any warming/cooling centers in Eastern New Mexico? It's simply a matter of opening a public building, temporarily, to those who may need a little relief. 
In cities and towns all over America, comfort is provided when the weather gets extreme, but not here. Sometimes I think people feel that if we help the poor, we'll be flooded with them. But let me tell you, nobody in New York City is saying, "Hey, they opened the Clovis Library on a Sunday, let's go!" It's really just about taking care of our own.

*William Blake after Hebrews 13:2.

No comments:

Post a Comment